Xiaomi warns customers of fake MI products: How to check if you are buying the original product?
On Monday, Xiaomi released a statement warning its customer and making them aware of the fake MI products in the market. They announced that over Rs. 33 lakh of its products have been seized in a raid from suppliers based in Chennai and Bengaluru.
Xiaomi India filed an official complaint with the local police stations as part of its “comprehensive proactive anti-counterfeit program”. The complaint was about the selling of their counterfeit products which led to the police raiding four suppliers in Chennai and three suppliers in Bengaluru. The raids were conducted in the market in the months of October and November and the police confiscated various Xiaomi products from these suppliers with an estimated worth of Rs. 33.3 lakh!
Over 3000 Xiaomi products were seized in the raid, including back cases, headphones, power bank, charger, and earphones, from three prominent shops in the two cities. The shop owners of both cities were arrested for allegedly selling fake MI products worth Rs 24.9 lakh and Rs 8.4 lakh.
During the inquiry, the police found that these suppliers have been managing this business for a long time and have sold many fake products in the market. These fake products not only spoil the customer’s phone experience but are also a big threat to their health and the safety of their data and privacy!
Xiaomi India said that they have formed a special task force responsible for regularly monitoring the market and working against such unauthorized institutions and counterfeiters. The company then went on to advise their consumers to buy “genuine” products only from authorized stores of the brand and their partner outlets.
Due to the presence of fake Xiaomi products in the market, it is possible for anyone to buy a duplicate product. So, we bring you some tips to check whether the product you are buying is real or fake.
1) You can check the security codes of some of their products on mi.com to verify the authenticity of the product.
2) The packaging and quality of retail boxes of these fake products are usually very different than the original. Before buying the product, please check with the website or MI store to validate the original packaging.
3) Don’t forget to check the original MI India Logo on the product, you can see it on mi.com.
4) All original fitness products such as Mi Band are compatible with the Mi Fit app.
5) The most important thing to remember is that it is better to buy the products from an authorized Xiaomi store.